Foundation’s role: Implementing agent
Started: 2003 – 2004
Funders: National Department of Environmental Affairs
Funder’s investment: R350,000
Scope of project: Three rabbitories in Upper Gxulu, Lower Gxulu, Sophumelela
• The rabbitories were constructed using local labour and materials.
• The goal was to increase rabbit numbers and expand into more villages.
• An abattoir was be constructed to European standards to satisfy Pick ’n Pay standards.
• However, funding was difficult to source as the project would not be financially viable for the first four years due to the slow increase in rabbit and village numbers.
• This resulted in people rearing their own rabbits and selling them locally.